State abbreviation/Postal code: Md. /MD
Nicknames: Free State; Old Line State
Origin of name: In honor of Henrietta Maria (queen of Charles I of England)
Land area: 9,774 sq mi. (25,315 sq km)
Geographic center: In Prince Georges Co., 41/2 mi. NW of Davidsonville
Number of counties: 23 and 1 independent city
Maryland Unemployment Benefits Application
The state of Maryland provides temporary unemployment compensation to its unemployed workers via the Division of Unemployment Insurance. Claimants in order to be eligible must meet certain requirements which include:
1. Ability and availability to work and is actively seeking for work.
2. Reports for wages and money earned or received each week.
3. Reports to the Maryland Division of Workforce Development when required.
4. Accepts suitable work as defined by law.
5. Files timely bi-weekly continued claims.
This site offers more information to unemployed individuals in Maryland and by filling-out the form on this page; you’ll also get job hunting tips.